Monday, March 19, 2012

Midnight Marathon (-22mi)

We got 'the call' at 10 pm last night...
Every three months, the crew team has a dreaded midnight run up and down Lakeshore Path.  The run is 4 miles long and must be completed in under 30 minutes or you get to do it again.  I'm pretty sure I've never walked, let alone run more than a mile in my entire life but Kelsey figured I had a bit of 'spare' energy to burn and that I would really enjoy myself. She was right!  I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time or maybe that was just because I was panting soooo hard.
It took me a little while to figure out how to run next to someone.  Sometimes I was too slow, so I would speed up, overcompensate, and wind up running way too fast.  Kelsey said it was like running between two bungee chords until I figured out how to match pace with her.
We finished our run in 27 minutes and 36 seconds - no repeat - Yeah!  I was so exhausted by the third mile that I couldn't even keep my tongue straight in my mouth, so I just let it flop off to the side.  Thankfully Kelsey can't run and take a picture because boy did I look silly.
After the race, the team hit the showers to cool off.  I got to join them but I had to keep my eyes closed; it was the girls locker room after-all. ;)

P.S. - Apparently the jokes on me, because I just caught wind that we have to be up for 5 am practice this morning.  I'm definitely sleeping through school tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment