Monday, May 7, 2012

Always Lost

When I moved in with Kelsey, I figured she would provide me with a good home, proper guidance, and teach me some new things.  However, I didn't realize there was a third person in our relationship.  Kelsey trains me and a strange man with an accent whom I've never seen trains Kelsey.  He takes Kelsey everywhere, just like she takes me.  He tells her to turn left or right, speed up or slow down, just like Kelsey tells me.  Unfortunately there is one command Kelsey can't seem to master, "RECALCULATING!"  I know this because he frequently says the command over and over and over again.  I feel sorry for the poor guy, so I've decided to step up and help Kelsey so that she isn't always lost.  Therefore, I had my first lesson tonight on "FIND."
Since it was just my first lesson, all I had to do was touch the post-it note with my nose to get a tasty treat.  Easy enough.  Nope!  For my first few attempts, I did a sit and a down and a heel but none earned me a tasty treat.  Next, I tried a wait but that only turned into a staring contest and did not result in a treat.  Fed up with waiting, I grabbed the post-it note and tried to eat it; treat for the touch part, hand down my throat for the eating part.  Finally, my brain kicked in and I grasped the concept...Check out the video to see me in action.
My hope is that someday I will be able to find all of the things my blind partner can't; this includes doors, stairs, elevators, empty chairs, tables, shopping carts, bus stops and much more.  But for now, I'll stick close to Kelsey because she might lose her head if I'm not there to find it or worse yet, my treat bag!!

1 comment: